Document Your Life Through A Blog

 I love looking back at stuff I did when I was a little kid. I have a desk at my old room at my parent's house that is filled with stuff I worked on as a youngster.

There are notebooks filled with drawings. The drawings I made as a kid were very bad. I had little skill as an artist. I'm still not a great illustrator, but I have definitely gotten better when I look back at what I used to be capable of. I would draw people that looked more like octopuses than anyone you've ever seen. I would draw houses that would likely collapse if actually built. All sorts of stuff.

Other notebooks filled with things I wrote. I would write tiny, one sentence thoughts. I would practice spelling by writing the same words over and over again in a column. Sometimes I wrote short stories. I would make lists of things. Random things. I never had a consistent diary like some people had, but I would occasionally write a single page that seems like it would fit well in a diary. It would describe some interesting occurrence on a particular day.

I love to see how far I've come as a writer. I would misspell words as a little kid. Use bad sentence structure and grammar. I would write things that were kind of pointless. I might not be one of the best writers in history, but I am proud of the personal progress I've made. I like to look back at those early things I wrote to appreciate how far I've come.

And those things I wrote as a kid were just funny.

Since I love going through the contents of that old desk whenever I get back home, I know that I love to look over the work I've done in the past. Or the work that past versions of me have completed.

I love to look back at the things I've made or written no matter how old I was when I made them.

I look through school notebooks that I worked in for classes in middle school and high school.

I like to look through essays and research papers I wrote in college.

And I have now been blogging for a little over a year, and it can be fun to look back at the articles I've written.

That is one of the reasons I find blogging to be satisfying as a hobby and why I think other people should pursue blogging. It is a great creative outlet. It gives you a place to share your ideas, and through writing your articles, come to fully understand what you think and believe.

And it gives you a reason to write things that the future version of you can look back on.

Writing a blog can offer me the same chance to reminisce as my childhood notebooks did.

People constantly grow and change. Who you are today might be very similar to who you were yesterday, but if you look at versions of you separated by time spans of months or years, it will be clear that you are different. Writing can give you proof of who you were at the time of the writing. It can be an artifact of self. You can use your writings to look at how you've changed over time. 

If you are writing about timeless ideas, then it can be fun to look back on how your thinking has either endured or changed.

If you are documenting your experiences or the things happening in the world, then you can look back on your old writings to remember what happened. Your writings can preserve more detail than you are likely to remember through mind alone.

Some people create annual scrapbooks of photos so that they have something to look back on and remember the different periods of their life. While I think that is a fantastic idea and that everyone should do that, writing can be a similar project. You can write about things regularly and create a volume to look back on. Just as a photo can bring back natural memories of a specific time, so too can your writings.

Blogging can be a great way to earn an income. You can use your blog to create useful content that will get ranked in search engines and attract an audience. With the traffic your blog generates, you can make money. You can monetize your blog with ads, affiliate marketing, selling your own products, or several other ways.

In addition to using your blog as a business, it can also be a convenient place to store your writings. It can be a way to motivate you to write more often. It can be the public scrapbook of your writings. 

And writing can be really fun. Some people feel like they aren't writers. They feel an internal resistance to writing. But if you push through that initial resistance, you will find that you love writing. Writing without a deadline. Writing without a specific purpose or audience. Just writing what you please in the moment. Getting to share all that you have to say without any chance of someone interrupting you or judging you can be very fulfilling. And the feeling of your fingers flying over the keys on your keyboard feels good. The clicking of the keys sounds good. Turning a blank page into a finished product feels good. The entire process of writing is very satisfying.

And even if nobody else ever reads what you have written (which is pretty unlikely if you stick with it long enough), it would still be worth it to be able to look back on your own writings.



Do you like to look back at your past work? Do you blog? Do you feel any satisfaction from writing? Is writing your hobby? Let me know in the comments!



Other Articles to Read

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Importance of Entrepreneurship to the Economy and Society

What Is the Purpose of a Blog Post?

Google Chrome Touchpad Scroll Not Working SOLUTION