Alexa.com Is Being Retired

 I like to check the stats for my blog pretty regularly to see how I'm doing, and I get those stats from a few different websites.

One of the sites I look to for info about how I'm doing is Alexa.com. 

Alexa is a company which collects info about most of the websites on the internet. It tries to provide people with info about the amount of traffic websites get, what keywords they rank in search engines for, and what other websites cover similar topics.

Alexa provides even more than that, but generally, it can be categorized as a website competitive analysis and keyword research tool.

Alexa is the company which puts out the famous "Alexa Rank". The Alexa Rank is a number which is assigned to websites based on how popular their website is - which is based on the amount of traffic each site gets.

A site ranked #1 is the most popular website in the world, and the larger the number of your score, the less popular and visited your site. It gives website owners an idea how their site compares to other sites.

Sites with a score of less than one million (between 0-1,000,000) are fairly popular websites with plenty of people visiting them.

When I first started checking my Alexa Rank for this blog, I had a score of N/A, meaning that it received so little traffic that it couldn't really assign a score.

After some time, my score was around 6 million.

Then it just kept getting better.

3 million.

2 million.

I am currently sitting around 1,795,000.

That is still not awesome, but considering I jumped several million places, I am pretty proud of that.

I tend to check my Alexa Rank every few days, and recently I noticed a message at the top of the site.

Apparently they are going to retire Alexa.com. The site will be taken down on May 1, 2022.

That is a pretty big bummer. The page which explains the site's retirement says that Alexa has been operating for 25 years. That is a very long stretch of time to do something and then just stop doing it.

It could be because fewer people are relying on Alexa.com's information. If too few people use it, it may not be reasonable to keep going. I don't think that is the case. I think plenty of people still use Alexa.com.

At some point, Amazon.com purchased Alexa.com. I'm guessing they are taking the site down so that they can dedicate the domain name to their smart speaker assistant.

Whatever the reasoning behind the takedown, it is clearly coming. I am a little sad about that.

I have never been a super user of the site. I have never really relied on their info. I just occasionally go there to check on the Alexa Rank for this blog to see if I'm making progress.

And now I will lose that metric. I was really hoping to see my blog achieve a rank of better than 1 million. It was going to be a really big accomplishment (maybe not really, but to me at least).

I doubt I will make enough improvement by May to see that happen. I'll keep pushing just in case.

Goodbye Alexa.com! We will miss you!




Other Articles to Read:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Importance of Entrepreneurship to the Economy and Society

What Is the Purpose of a Blog Post?

Google Chrome Touchpad Scroll Not Working SOLUTION